Nomination Year: 1992
SYNOPSIS: Michael Ironside plays a Toronto cop who has reason to believe he was the victim of a failed CIA mind-control experiment. They used Lee Harvey Oswald instead.
- "Cutting Butter With A Chainsaw"
They Always Get Their Man
The fat bad guy has taken the hero's girlfriend as a hostage and is backing her out into the center of a darkened indoor sports arena. Michael has incriminating film that the baddie wants. Standing about twenty-five feet away, Michael says, "You want the film? Here, catch!" He tosses a pouch to the baddie, who instinctively drops the girl to grab for it. Several things happen in quick succession:
- The hostage takes this opportunity to run toward Michael.
- The stadium lights snap on, revealing stands filled with with the entire Toronto police force (there was a big union meeting at the connecting convention center).
- Every last blessed officer empties his/her entire sidearm into the bad guy, a process of about a minute or so of screen time. Some even reload.
- Acting Appropriately Stupid
Is That Your Final Answer?
The portly, corrupt ex-CIA agent is on his knees in front of a huge, burly African-American agent. The black man points a gun at the kneeling man's forehead and barks accusingly: "You had JFK killed, didn't you? Didn't you?!"
Now what would be the proper response, do you think? "Yes, Sir, and I'm very, very sorry?" Maybe "No, Sir, it wasn't me, Sir, it was some other guy, Sir." His actual response: "He was a n****r-loving Commie sonofabitch!!!" Oooo. Wrong answer.
[Smithee Film Gallery] [Return to Lobby]
© 2011-2014 Bryan D. Cassidy, Greg Pearson, Matthew Quirk, and Kevin Hogan. All Rights Reserved.